1. Play the song, not just your instrument.
2. Know the melody and HOW to play it. If you don’t know the melody, you don’t know the song.
3. Know the lyrics and what the song is about.
4. Listen to the other players, particularly the drummer and bass player.
5. Participate in the groove.
6. Pay attention to the band leader.
7. Give it 100% from load in to load out.
8. Don’t denigrate your band mates. For sidemen, make the front person sound good. For front persons, make the sidemen sound good.
9. Load your gear for money… play for the love of music.
10. Always eat the free food.
11. Never believe that any complex topic can be summed up in ten rules!